Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thrown Under A Bus

Last Saturday, I attended a film mentoring workshop. Approximately 25 women in the film industry offered their morning for one-on-one question time for young hopefuls, like myself. One of these women offered me the best possible advice: when there is no work for you, write.

I want to turn this blog into my venting station. Any time I go on an audition, or find new monologues, or watch plays, or feel inspired/devastated, I will blog about it. This will (possibly) keep track of my growth as an artist.

My first story happened tonight. I auditioned for a UT film, and I was asked to show up at 9:30pm. I wasn't seen until 10:30pm. (Thank God I didn't get a parking ticket for my expired meter!) While waiting, I overheard another actress mention that she was meeting Meryl Streep tomorrow. Of course I pressed questions. The UT Theatre/Dance majors will have the pleasure of being in the presence of MS tomorrow. Wow. Just another reason I'm upset at St. Edward's. With this ridiculous tuition cost, you'd think we could also get Meryl here...

Finally, I was called into the room. I did my usual flirting and smiling with the director (this is regardless of male or female, I don't discriminate). The AD was also from Houston and we had some nice bonding moments: laughing about highways and Gunspoint Mall. The Director herself also seemed nice and friendly.

Then I was asked to do a cold reading. No problem. Slated my name and read like a pro. Now the good part: bringing in another actor to read with me. This talented male (I use talented lightly) decided to look at the lines and, instead of reading what was on the page, decided to alter the lines. I did not understand what was going on. Who ad-libs when the script is IN YOUR HANDS?!

When the director asked us to do an improv run of the script, I was thrilled. If this guy was already making up lines, what was next? Fortunately, it went well. Then we were asked a couple of questions. Since this was a love story between a man and a woman, the director wanted to know if we felt comfortable having to kiss someone. My loving and thoughtful scene partner announces,

"Well, she has a boyfriend, but I'm single and completely ok with that."

My jaw dropped. I apparently mentioned I had a boyfriend in the hallway, but why did he answer for me? And he did not know how I felt! He didn't even know me! After giving this guy a sassy glare, I told the director it wasn't a big deal - he's in theatre too. She seemed relieved.

There are two major rules in improv: 1) do not play for a laugh and 2) make your scene partner look good.

Warning to all future scene partners: if you throw me under the bus, I'm taking you down with me. Or, at the very least, I'll grab the bumper and hold on. It looks like a long road ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment