Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Aftermath

Some strange things happened at my auditions today. Good strange and bad strange.

The First Audition, a commercial for Pepsi:

When I walk in, there is already a girl wearing exactly what I am wearing: a blue v-neck t-shirt, denim jeans and boots. The only difference is that I was smiling. She looked like the most miserable person there; instead of waiting for a possible tv commercial, she was waiting for the dentist. And, on top of it all, she was rude to the monitor. Who does that? Not just as an actor wanting to get a role, but as a human.

Also while I was waiting, the monitor came up to me to ask where the red button on my jacket came from. (This was already kind of strange because I almost didn't wear that jacket!) I told him that Joseph Gordon-Levitt's brother, Dan, gave it to me at some convention in March. The Monitor proceeded to tell me that he recognized my button because HE SAT NEXT TO ME. What a small world! (also, some sad news, he informed me that Burning Dan passed in October.)

The actual audition wasn't too bad. It seems I don't get nervous in front of the camera anymore, that's good. When I walked in (with my smile), the director scanned my resume:

"You don't have an agent?"
"No."
"Ok... You've done long-form improv?"
"Yeah I did some work back in Houston, etc."
"Ok, so you're pretty funny?"
"I guess!"

On to the camera portion... Slate my name. Then he informs me that he is considering me for the lead girl and a bar patron. As the lead girl I had to use my face to tell the story of a man who brings a Coke to me, I am disgusted and turn him down. Then a different man brings a Pepsi to me and I swoon. I think I did well! As a bar patron, I just had to follow a sight line and make silly/confused/shocked faces.

The first audition ended with "That was really great! We'll let you know by Monday around 2! You did good! You need an agent! You're really funny! Thanks!"

The Second Audition, a UT student short film:

I parked (sidenote: I need to get more quarters for the meters) and went to the audition room. The door was shut, I sat in the hall. About 8 minutes later, I was bored and started to leave. Then I heard the door opened, so I went back.

The guy reading with me was not an actor and provided no emotional feedback. The director changed his mind about what he wanted with every take. I don't know if it was to test my acting chops or if he was just that unsure, but I got annoyed.

"This time you're angry because he cheated on you."
"This time you're guilty because you cheated on him."
"This time you're pregnant and need to tell him."
"This time you're sad because he is leaving you."

After ten or so takes, the director was exhausted of ideas. I stood up and asked,

"Is there a sign-in sheet of some sort."
"Oh yeah, we should get one of those..."

I wrote my name on a piece of notebook paper and left. I think even if I get cast, this is one to turn down. RULE 1: I need to work with organized people.

No comments:

Post a Comment